Friday, September 16, 2011

They Really Do Matter!!!

I know….I know…. I keep saying “every moment matters”……… let me share a few moments with you and see what you think…….okay?
When my son was just a toddler, I would take him to a nearby pond to let him feed the ducks.  He always loved going there.  It was such a  “treat” for him.  While we were there, I would always take a few moments and coach him …………letting him know him that he could do anythinggggg in this world he set his mind to doing. 
Many years later, dropping my son off at the recruiter’s office was on my list for the day.  WOW!  I remember what a hard day that was for me.  My son was leaving home for basic training.  He had signed up for 6 years. It was the first time he had ever been away from home.  Remember how hard it was to drop your child off at daycare or school for the first time?  Remember how nervous they were?  Remember how hard it was knowing you wouldn't be right there with them if they "needed" you.....................?   Remember how scared you were for them….??  I was feeling all those those things and then some even though he was 18. 
I told him I needed to make one stop before I dropped him off.  It was a bit out of the way…..it required a little extra time.  He said “I can’t be late!”  I said “You won’t be!”
I took him back to that pond!  As we drove up to it, I looked at him and said “Do you remember this place?”  He grinned and said “This is where you used to take me to feed the ducks, isn’t it?  I said “Ah!  You remember? This is where I used to tell you that you could do anything you set your mind to doing!”  We looked at each other with teary eyes.  He nodded, letting me know that he knew he could. What a priceless moment in time….
We got to the recruiters office.  I hugged him and as hard as it was, let him go.  I cried all the way back to work….. he doesn’t even know that until now perhaps as he is reading this….
My son is now 23 years old, a Staff Sergeant in the United States Air Force, stationed in Washington, D.C. and currently serving our country in Afghanistan.  He is strong in self.  He is vibrant.  And........he knows that he can do anything he sets his mind to doing, without a doubt. I am so very proud of him!
I truly believe every moment matters…..  let me share another….. 

No comments:

Post a Comment